Monday, May 02, 2005

Oh no, he's back (2nd follow up to I hate to be told this too shall pass)

I don't know if I should write when I'm this tired.
I was emptying out the yellow bags. I looked up and there he was. Uh oh, I wasn't expecting him. I was not happy to see him. I kept cleaning out the bags. I said to myself 'This time I'm not going to work to make conversation with someone I don't want to converse with.' He started talking about a chair he saw in the self-serve department and how he liked it. Then he asked me if I could help him. I told him there are coworkers there who can help him. He said something about giving me money and I could buy it for him. I said just go buy it yourself. He said you will get a discount because you work here. I said we are not allowed to use it for anyone else. That is against the rules. But it costs a hundred and sixty something dollars, he said, I just thought maybe you could help me. So here ensued a short yes, no, yes, no discussion. Me: I would never do that, not even for my close friends. It's wrong. I won't do that. He stood there unbelieving that I should say such a thing.
So he asked where my coworker is that he apparently has gotten to know while showing up at the place while I was not there. I tell him that I have not seen him. Off he goes looking for that guy. Now then I'm sure he's going to beg my coworker to buy the chair for him, and I fear my coworker would say yes.
I call security and let them know he's here. The former marine is not here today but the receptionist says come up and have a talk with J about it. So I head up to the office. J does not come out into the reception area, but C is and I tell her what's going on and that he is in the building. She has had the same experiences. I go back to work.
He comes back after not finding my coworker and says again, Can't you help me to buy the chair? the money is too high. I say save your money. Then he says you didn't call me. I said I TOLD you I wouldn't call you. He says he's going to leave and starts with the "anything is possible" refrain. Oh! I am so glad to see him walk away. He said he'd come back next week. C tells me she is dating someone from West Africa and his friends hit on her right in front of him. She looks at him and says doesn't this bother you? He says no. I guess it's normal.
This post is closing.
But before I close, I am enjoying the different types of responses I am getting from friends and family as they read this story.

No comments: