Thursday, May 05, 2005

The Lake at Dusk

The lake is so beautiful at dusk. I like to go at that time because the dog can run out the whole length of her leash and sniff in all directions. We only run into a few, if any, other people. The first goslings of the year were there tonight. I made myself run though I'd rather walk. Last night Her Dogness got a whiff of something when she came out of the car and bolted into the woods, yanking the handle right out of my hand and trailing it behind her. I'd chased the handle, yelling stop. I'd get close, and she'd go deeper into the woods. Finally I grabbed the handle and pulled until I figured out she was stuck. I had to crawl onto a narrow log in the dim light hoping I was not above a bed of poison ivy and managed to get her unstuck and then tried to make her jump over the right log to get out without getting tangled again. This is when one is mad at oneself for not training one's dog diligently. "All discipline for the moment seems to be not joyful but sorrowful, but to those who are trained by it, it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness." Hebrews. Here is an object lesson for a scriptural principle.
Then when we went onto the dock where the geese hang out, it was quite dark and we didn't see them. Apparently we startled them. The dog charged and sent them fluttering into the lake. Tonight when we went by the same place they were all warning each other: "Here comes that dog; look out."
Other places along the water.....I wonder why sometimes the geese are all honking when they come in for a landing, yet tonight I didn't even know they were coming until I heard them splash down. Maybe some geese are extroverts and some are introverts.
Little by little my room is getting decluttered. I have my eye out for a new desk. My antique oak desk is NOT computer friendly.
The electrician called back and explained that yes, even if you turn off one room's fuse, a wire may be running through that fixture to the next room and it may still be hot. Great to know after my daughter screamed at the same time the house went dark. No instruction book. She is fine. But the two daughters definitely decided not to do any more electrical installations.

No comments: