Monday, September 19, 2005

Day 3 (Maine Watercolor Class)(tidbit about grief included)


Day 3 my white boat at Mechanics point.. It was really hot and my scalp was burned where my part is so I wore my hat. I walked all around looking for what to paint...way out onto the dock and out there I saw lots of great shapes and buildings and the U.S. Coast Guard ship and lobstermen hauling real lobsters from real traps. I heard voices of Mainers and I thought of my son-in-law and I felt there were versions of him all around me. lobstah.

I find a spot I think may get shade before I'm done and I paint. I don't know how the colors I see on my palette will look when they are dry on my paper. When I have my water washed in around my boat, wow, that's bright teal. Did I do that? I'm working on the pier and the poles supporting it and the water behind it and I can't see it, looks like a mess. David comes by. Did he say I 'popped' my boat? Don't remember, but he says take this picture and Xerox it in black and white and look at your values. They are very good. At the critique he uses the word rugged for my painting but he says I should frame it and put it on my mantel. Wow. Really? I think my mouth is probably agape. I like my little boat and I am learning.

While David was talking about the light in his painting demonstration, I decided I must offer him my story about what I saw when my husband went to heaven. He would appreciate it because he is an artist and he studies color and light. So I had mentioned I wanted to tell him a story. At lunchtime he says he'll walk me up to town to show my where the eats are and I buy a sandwich, but he wants me to tell him now. He is curious. So I tell him the story. That will not be posted here. That is a very special story that needs it's own place and time. Call me if you want to hear it. Or write.

So lunch time was long and by the time I got back out there wasn't too much time left to paint. I was less ashamed of my boat at the critique than of my former work. By this time I haven't talked too much to the others, but at the critiques I've mumbled things to the person next to me, making excuses for my lack of skill. The air is so clean.

Oh yes, the Lobster Festival started that day and they expected 90 thousand folk. I dreaded the traffic coming in to town, but there wasn't any. Where are the 90 thousand? After class Christie and friends invite me to join them for lobster rolls at the festival. We walk through the midway area and we find out that all 90 thousand are there. We hung onto each other to stay together.

I have my first lobster roll and decide that a lobster only needs the boiling pot and drawn butter. Why pay for bread and mayo? It's nice to get to know some of my classmates sitting out by the water at picnic tables. It is sunset and the colors are lovely. There is live music. I discover that one of the women is a new widow and my heart goes out to her. She displays a brave attitude. I give her titles of helpful books.

This night too I'm driving home late and the stars are very bright against the sky. I think about what colors would make that dark sky. David has taught us to pretty much never use black. My hostess is gone, so I let myself in and greet the cats. I'm tired! I don't want to go home. Can I move up here for a while?

No comments: