Monday, September 19, 2005

Day 2 (Maine Watercolor Class)

Day 2 -- I paint a rusty old bell buoy against some hills and houses. To me it looks like 6th grade painting with a set of Prang paints. But at the critique he finds words to encourage me, as he does everyone. He even says out loud that I need encouragement. I wonder if this is to let the others know that yes, he understands that this is awful, but he has to say something good about it, so bear with him........

Most of the painters found shade as it was hot that day. I had my sunscreen on and still was getting burned. I had started to repaint my picture in a bigger size, trying to make improvements. He said at the critique that I couldn't reproduce what I did in that little painting. What in the world is he talking about? It's awful. But he has said something positive and looks at his assistant, who was nodding her head. It was about the values I think, and trying to find interesting shapes and patterns to make art. It was about the red truck metaphor, building the object by laying down shapes of color around it.

No comments: