Tuesday, May 16, 2006

How Blessed I am

My son and his wife came for Mother's Day weekend. I'm selling my house and he helped me declutter any BIG items that I will not be taking with me. My realtor said you are not ready to put your house on the market.....get all your excess things out.

We walked through the house and every single thing I am not moving, he hauled out to the street. We put out a huge FREE (Gratis) sign and watched people come and take things. Thanks for showing me, Flylady, that it is not worth the time or effort to set up a garage sale, just GIVE IT AWAY. He had his truck and if you lived in the neighborhood, he put your couch on the flatbed and hauled it to your house. This was not just because he's a nice guy, but to make sure that if they wanted it and had no way to get it home, it would indeed be removed from Mom's front yard.

He did in one day what would take me 10 years to finish. I let go of many sentimental things. He helped me decide how to get rid of his dad's files. We did not take time to sort small things. That will be in the next give-away. A neighbor is coming to get my extra freezer and fridge when he gets a way to get it home.

What a blessing! Then we went out to eat. We were going to have a bonfire and burn stuff, but ran out of steam. He took each of his sisters out, one before church and one after. they came home with flowers and cards, including one from the dog, after which he showed me a picture on his cell phone of my dog with pen in paw and a card on the floor next to her! I told him he cannot leave. He does not want to leave because he wants to finish the entire house so that the only things left in the house are things I will take with me when I move.

We drove through the neighborhood I plan to move into and he did not like it. I think he got a superficial impression. There was one woman having an open house. Her place had only 2 bedrooms and was expensive. I loved it. She had opened up the floor plan and put in beautiful wooden windows and high quality detailing, very simple and very much my style. But I know there are no others like that in that place. And the reason for my move at this time is not to find a wonderful place, but rather a small CHEAPER place to live while I focus on my work. The son has come up with yet another option: if you are planning on getting to the income you need in about 2 years, why not just rent? Why make a down payment? Why pay closing costs? So now I have to talk this one over with my realtor.

Wow, all I know is that when he comes around, things happen. I invited him to help me and he loves to declutter and he's strong as an ox, so we did it.
Things I let go of:
gas grill
good quality sofa sleeper
my husband's dresser
large steel file cabinet
2 small file cabinets
sewing machine in solid wood case
matching lamps
kids' table and chairs
dining room table
2 captains chairs
oak coffee table
end table
tea cart
4 lawn chairs
badminton set
whatever else

I felt for my daughter-in-law because this probably wasn't her idea of a great time, but our beloved dogs, the cousins, played together and provided entertainment for us. She is courageous and supportive.

So I thank God for my children ALL OF THEM and I marvel at the strengths of each of them, and this time, the decisiveness of my son which he got from his dad and his drive to keep going and finish. My daughter far away wished she could have been there to help because she is also good at such things and keeps a clutter free life.

In the process of talking about their own stash of garage sale items in their garage, they decided NOT to go to the group yard sale and set up a table next weekend but to take the full trailer and haul it to good will or Salvation Army. Neither of them even enjoy it and they don't need the money. So that decision gave them their next Saturday free to do something they enjoy.

My house almost echoes like an empty house and I can no longer sit on my couch for my one TV show per week, The Unit, and pet my dog. I even gave away my stereo system intending to get a Boze when I sell my house.

God is good and I am the most blessed of mothers in all the world.

No comments: