Saturday, September 30, 2006

The House is Echoing

The POD arrived yesterday--the way it came off the truck was a fascinating bit of engineering. I won't even try to describe it, but if I have my wits about me I'll take some pictures when they pick it up.

There were about 10 of us, with Alec as foreman. Thank you, Katie, for sharing your DH, especially on a Saturday. He did an excellent job putting things in efficiently and tying them up as we went. I was mostly indoors limping around answering questions about which things went, which things stayed, and where the tape dispenser was. Patricia brought her big flask of coffee and some doughnuts. My house is dirty, but I have given up my perfectionism, now haven't I?

A neighbor came by who said she knows about the people that bought my house and she looked very sour-faced. These people have been buying houses in the neighborhood and renting them out. Well, if I had my druthers, the house would go to a family, but my realtor says "their money is green."

I think of how I wont be able to walk in my neighborhood any more and see people who have become part of my life (and their dogs). Last night Buddy and his human came by right when I was taking Princess into the house and I had to quickly put my bags down and make sure she didn't make me hurt my knee again. Buddy is a barker and though his human and I try to have conversations, we never can. There's another person I won't see walking by any more.

I didn't carry much, just limped around, up and down the stairs without bending my knee. I am anxious to find out what the MRI reveals. If I do need surgery, the sooner the better.

When everything was packed that could be packed, we pulled the plastic table into the living room and ate our Boston Market meal.

It is good to have friends. Each day last week someone came and helped me pack, and today, these came and helped put the things into the POD. If I were not half lame, I would have tried to do it all myself.

This is a big relief to have it all packed in. Now to clear out the rest, room by room and clean up the place for the new owners.

The off and on sprinkling didn't interfere with being the work. The grass is long, looks really lush, it's hiding all the weeds! The colors are starting to show up in some of the trees and the acorns are making noises on the roof, but I shall not be raking leaves this year at the condo.

Another neighbor walked through to 'get ideas for her house' which is just like mine. She asked if I were taking all my furniture and I said no, so she told me a couple things she'd like if I didn't take them.

I like my Parish group and I will miss these young people and P and P who have been good friends all this time. This is the first time I've moved somewhere all alone. Even when I went off to college, I roomed with my best friend and 3 girls from our High School were in the next rooms. I'm excited about it all, but it just seems strange.

No comments: