Wednesday, August 16, 2006

last day

Day Five Year Two

I forgot that if it is raining by 8:30 we are to call David and get instructions. A few of us turn up at the assigned place but no one is there. Last year we painted at this spot and it was raining. So we go to David's and get directions. They are in one of the local's studio. What a great place, windows on all sides and tables all around and a big center island. David is showing his book from Europe. It's wonderful to see and to hear him talk through his paintings. The owner has a yellow lab puppy named Lucy. After the class we look around the owner's home and see paintings everywhere and lots of windows looking out onto the water.

It's time to have lunch at David's house prepared by Kathy and her friend from NJ. Again I look all over the house at all the paintings. I hate to think of leaving and I'm disappointed that we did not get to paint. Two women come and ask me if I'd like to paint with them after lunch. YES! Perfect. We say our goodbyes and David is planting "mwah!" type kisses on our cheeks. I am surprised when one of the men doesn't want to let go of my hand when we are saying goodbye, and he wants to know if I'm coming next year.....yikes.

At Thomaston Harbor there is lots to paint. The nice young ladies at the restaurant make us coffee even though they are closed. Joan decides the umbrellas will look good opened, so she asks and we go open all of them. We think Susan is painting the umbrellas and we think she will be happy, but apparently she wasn't painting the umbrellas at all. She didn't even notice.
She has her big ole lab with her and he's been swimming. I try to teach him to drink water out of my camelpak.

I think I'll paint something realistic, but my painting turns out primitive looking, something that doesn't look like my work. I paint another post card sized picture of a white house peeking over some tall grass.

Before driving back home, I spent an extra day with my hostess, my daughter's mom in law. She takes me all around and shows me the area. It is a perfect day and we eat lunch outdoors by the water. I can't get enough of fish sandwiches. On the way home we stop to buy lobsters. The last man in line pretends we are his good friends and asks the lobsterman if he will get us some lobsters. I don't think he fooled anyone but the nice young man goes out in his boat and pulls some right out of the water for us. He only has soft shell, so we get 4. Two each. Now that was a satisfying dinner! I used up all my melted butter too. Ahhhhh. Maine.

No comments: