Thursday, April 20, 2006

I dont think it has sunk in yet

My son is home with his wife. She sent email photos of him with their dog. I wonder what he thinks about as he looks back over the past months. I wonder what it feels like for him to have been where he has been. I wonder if he will want to talk about it when I see him and whether there are things I should not press him to talk about. I will want to know everything and that may not be the best idea.

Outside it's all pastelly. Spring is here and today it is supposed to be 80. These colors do not inspire me to get out my paints and copy them, but I sure enjoy looking at them.

At work I complained that there is often someone else in my co-worker of the month parking spot. The duty manager acted immediately and now they give tickets to whoever parks there. Now I feel like a pruney faced old fuss-budget. I hope no one slashes my tires in retaliation.

It is tomorrow and cloudy. I ran with the dog at the lake and hardly saw any pastels at all. Lots of green and the water was dark with light gray sky reflections. Don't feel like painting that either.

Most of the time these days I don't run before breakfast, but because of my bloodtest, I did not eat and I realized again how much easier it is to run on an empty stomach. I pushed myself to keep running however slowly for the benefit of building my emotional confidence. It will help me physically, but as I ran today I was thinking of how it would help me in my tenacious category more than the physical. I stopped and walked about 5 times but made my self start again within about 10 paces. Once I had to stop and make the dog lie down while a field trip full of 10-11 years olds went back to where they came from. I don't know how many of them said 'Look at that dog' and 'roof,roof' but it was a lot. I kept popping kibble into her mouth saying see? children! treats. good girl, you are being polite. I have learned that with a reactive dog, you keep them away from potentially upsetting situations and reward them when they are calm around people they will be prone to reacting to (like anyone). The first priority was to stop at a good distance. And it takes many, many such successful experiences to build the dog's confidence. (Read Jean Donaldson: The Culture Clash. She is a genius about dogs)

While waiting to have my blood drawn, I looked over my coach call notes and transferred things into my palm in the form of tasks.

Why am I contacting any particular artist or writer?
Because I want to know how they earn money painting and writing. How did they start? What was absolutely necessary? What was extra? How do they keep customers? Did they do this on purpose, or are they just gifted and walked into it serendipitously?
Ron reminded me of this: some will say I can't help you but I know someone who can.

What can I offer them?

I was thinking about how I want to help good people get hired at my store (so I won't have so many slackers to work with, and for the overall good of the company). I have thought of several people and 2 got hired but only for summer. I have realized that I need to talk to maybe 10 or 20 to get one hired, especially older people who want a job year round. Anyway we used to have support parties when we were in ministry, and we were told to invite 40 people if you wanted 10, or some such ratio. It is the same thing Ron is trying to get across about contacting these people. If I keep at it I will find the ones with the answers.

This post started out to be about my son being home and how I don't think it has really hit me. I felt just a little sad the day after he called from his house, and I think it was just a bit of sorrow that his dad couldn't be here to see him come home and be excited for him just as I am. Maybe sad that there has to be war. I see people come into the store in cammies and I want to talk to them and ask them about their service to the country and thank them. Sometimes I do end up in conversations with them.

Someone at work was indicating that I should still be his number one in my son's heart, and that after one day with his wife he should come see his mama. I argued No, he belongs with his wife first. I will never come between them or try to stay in first place in his heart. Leave your father and mother and cleave to your wife.

OK my cereal is gone, time to get going.

No comments: